Friday, July 4, 2008

Williamses Showdown at Wimbledon

Tomorrow marks the third time siblings Venus and Serena Williams will play each other in the Wimbledon final.

The family affair is sure to bring up a sibling rivalry between two sisters as one will only be able to win.

It’s their seventh Grand Slam title match and they will be able to share it together. The Williams sisters remind me of my relationship with my older sister Ashley.

Ashley and I were similar to the Williamses accept we ran track. But our skill level and devotion allowed us to push each other in track and field. Sure, we competed against each other and ran on relays together.

I guess the most annoying part about my relationship with sister was the fact that I was a middle-distance runner and she was a sprinter- I would always try to compete in her races.

Ashley and I would race against each other from the 100 meters to the 400 meters. We were definitely a dynamic duo known as “the Green sisters.”

Throughout high school and college we always told ourselves that we would be one and two no matter what.

It was in 1998 at the National Junior Olympics Trials that we set a standard for running the 1,600m relay. I would run the lead-off leg and my sister would always anchor the relay.

We were fast and we knew it-everyone envied the Green sisters.

Looking back at out relationship in sports, I can’t help but to imagine the memories the Williamses share competing against each other.

It’s nothing like competing against the best and my sister was the best sprinter I ever raced against.

No comments: